Michael Gartenberg has an interesting recount of the negotiations between Microsoft and The Rolling Stones by Brad Silverberg and Brad Chase for the commercial rights to “Start Me Up”. Part 1 of 2 details the negotiations, and the new version of the song that almost was.
This got me thinking about what should be the launch theme of Windows Vista? (Disclaimer – I have no knowledge of any plans). Windows XP’s commercial anthem was Madonna’s “Ray of Light”. Everyone thought it would be Jimmi Hendrix’ “Are you eXPerienced?”. No doubt any music selected will be contemporary, but I think the anthem should be Van Halen’s, “Right Now“. Considering the following:
- The original album hit #1 and was on the charts for 74 weeks, this is no small feat.
- The median age of a target Windows PC user is in the same demographic that will remember the song fondly
- The experience of Longhorn/Vista, the song’s lyrics speak to me about both the challenges and incredible effort of the engineering team to deliver what’s shaping up to be a great release
- The song is forward-looking, capturing the essence of opportunity
- Rock music is making a comeback 😉
Another nice choice would be U2’s “Original of the Species“, but given U2’s relationship with Apple, I doubt that would happen.
What song would you pick? Feel free to comment here.